What is keyword difficulty (SEO competitive analysis)
What is keyword difficulty (SEO competitive analysis)?
The main factor is CPC data and the Bidding amount of the targetd keywords among competitors .
Are people bidding for this Keyword? If so, how many? What are they willing to pay for a click?
if you just want a single metric to measure the relative difficulty of a huge list of keywords, the answer is that no perfect solution exists, as modern search engines are far too complex. But there are several metrics you could use as a (very) rough proxy for keyword difficulty:
- google AdWords CPC : Search Volume (free): not surprisingly, the commercial value of a keyword correlates reasonably well to it's difficulty.
- Google PageRank (free): no longer updated and most pros will tell you it's worthless, but in our study actually was a better predictor of keyword difficulty than many paid tools you'll find recommended here
- Moz Page Authority (paid): the second best predictor of keyword difficulty in our study, frequently updated
- CanIRank Ranking Probability (paid): the only metric to incorporate content and link factors on both the page and website level, which is about 2x more accurate than other approaches
How to know the difficulty of keywords when using keywords tools?
- Color signals - red/yellow/green to showcase how easy it is to beat a ranking result based on the domain numbers.
- Red - Hard to beat the ranking
- Yellow - Not hard, but can be outranked
- Green - Easy to outranked
Use Google search operators like allinurl, allintitle and allintext with your researched keyword and look how many results are there for your keyword:
The difficulty score is calculated based on the top 5 search results for these keywords:
- Semrush (Get 14 Days free trials)
- Ahref Competitor Research Tools & SEO Backlink Checker
- Moz-SEO Software, Tools & Resources for Smarter Marketing
- Spyfu-Competitor Keyword Research Tools for AdWords PPC & SEO
- SEOmonitor The SEO platform that actively works for you & your agency.